Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Sewing Space

Unfortunately I do not have a room totally devoted to my sewing. I actually live in an old brick schoolhouse so I don't have a lot of room to work with, but I do the best I can with what I have. And here's my little sewing space:

My small sewing table sits in front of the dining room window. It has a leaf that can be folded out if I need extra sewing space.
I also have a cutting table that has two leaves. When these leaves are down, it's pretty compact at 12" wide x 36"long. Folded out, this table is a whopping 36" wide x 60" long! Usually I just fold one leaf out when using it. I store it under the stairs and beside my chinchilla's cage.
I use the end of the dining room table for my ironing. Since most of my projects are smaller, I find a tabletop ironing board works great. When not in use, I just lean it against my cutting table.

I do have a room upstairs that I use to store all my fabric and craft items. It's a larger room, however; it has a slanted ceiling that is very low so virtually no wall space.  If it weren't for that, I would probably make this room my sewing space as well. To store my craft items, I have a plastic shelf with my drawers and organizers.  I keep some trims and other odds and ends in them.  You will also notice all the black and white boxes under the shelf--these are all my sewing patterns.
I

I bet you're wondering what's in those blue boxes aren't you? That is just some of my ribbon. I have it all organized according to color.
  And let's not forget all my fabric! I store it in metal cubes according to theme and then by color. For example, all my baby/kids fabrics are together, animals, floral, novelty, etc.  The smaller fabrics on top are fat quarters.

And last but not least: my MIL gave us an old secretary that I sanded down and repainted. I store all my finished shop items in it and it works great!


So now that you've seen my crafting/sewing space, what does yours look like?

No comments: